Daniel Geale will return to his hometown to fight Sydney’s Renold Quinlan for the vacant IBO super middleweight title at the Silverdome in October.
It promises to be a make or break fight for the 35-year-old Geale whose last entry in the ring was a TKO defeat to Miguel Cotto in a WBC world middleweight title fight in New York in June last year.
The Quinlan fight was originally scheduled for June 24 at the West Leagues Club but was postponed after the death of Geale’s mother earlier that month.
Geale’s last fight in Launceston was in 2009 when he defeated Brazilian Samir Santos Barbosa in a unanimous points decision at the Silverdome.
The Friday, October 14, title fight will mean two world-class sporting events for Launceston in the same week with the Australian Diamonds taking on New Zealand in a Constellation Cup netball Test match at the same venue two days earlier.
“I am very excited about a title fight in Launceston,” Geale told Fairfax media.
“It’s something I have spoken to my team about for a little while and the timing was right and I’ve bugged them enough to be able to go back and fight in Tassie again.
“It’s going to be a big occasion to fight for an IBO world title against a tough and dangerous young fighter who is hungry and can be explosive – so it is definitely a risky fight.”
Quinlan’s camp was happy to accommodate the fight being moved from Sydney to Launceston and Geale was hopeful of a big, hometown crowd turning out to support him.
He will have been out of the ring for more than a year since his last fight but did not think that would be a factor and said stepping up to the super middleweight class would suit him.
“I’ve been training hard and I can’t take my foot off the gas at all – I know what I have to do to win and I just have to go out there and execute it,” he said.
“I’m enjoying my boxing and won’t have to kill myself as much to get to the 76.2 kg weight compared to 72.5 for middleweight.”
Geale knows the Quinlan fight has implications for his future prospects but stopped short of describing it as make or break.
“Every fight for the last eight or nine years since I turned professional is make or break – it is definitely all-important but obviously there are a few things ahead of me if I continue to win.
“Not only continue to win but perform well and look good in this fight and there are other possible world title fights whether back in Europe again or heading back to the US – definitely a lot of opportunities for me.”
While refusing to contemplate defeat, Geale said he was in a good place physically and mentally and will not change tactics despite defeats to Gennady Golovkin and Cotto but rather get back to doing things that worked for him in the past which he felt he had moved away from.
“I keep negative thoughts out of my mind and focus on the positives – what will be will be but at the moment I am remaining positive – it’s not a matter of if I lose but when I win.”
Reprinted from The Examiner